While you get a brand new cellphone, it’s a must to re-configure all of the apps on the brand new smartphone. Or you would simply again up your app information from the previous cellphone and restore it on the brand new one. Whether or not or not you have rooted your system, there is a approach to do that. On this article, we’ll present you ways.
After you put in an app in your Android cellphone and start utilizing it, you accumulate app information, which consists of software settings, chat profiles, login info, and so forth. These are saved in a separate listing. In order that different apps cannot entry your non-public info, your app information is non-public — however this makes backups harder.
With out particular permission (root entry) it’s onerous to entry the non-public directories of the previous smartphone. So, until an app offers its personal configuration backup methodology, your app information shall be misplaced while you change smartphones.
There’s nonetheless a solution to again up your app information, although. Some apps enable entry to app information through a debugging interface, and that is precisely the methodology the Helium app makes use of to export your app information, even with out root entry, and switch it to your new cellphone.
Google not solely backs up photographs, e-mails, contacts, and lots of different issues, but additionally app information. For almost all of customers, the easiest way to again up app information shall be Google’s personal backup service, usually enabled by default on Android.
To be able to use it, it’s a must to be sure that a backup system is enabled on your account — such because the cloud storage service Google One. So as to take action, navigate to:
- System Settings.
- Scroll all the way down to Google settings.
- Click on on Backup.
- You may see the lively backup methods on this part.
In Google One you will have an summary of your backups straight, and within the package deal you will discover the merchandise “Apps”. This listing shops the details about which app has saved your information on Google at what time, however sadly it is not accessible. Nonetheless, when you arrange a brand new cellphone along with your Google Account backup, the app information is ideally transferred to your cellphone instantly after computerized set up. It could not be less complicated.
One factor is obvious: The standard of Google’s app information safety relies upon above all on the suppliers of the apps. App builders have to combine the performance correctly into their purposes in order that Google can reliably again up and replace the app information. This isn’t but the case in all places, and you might discover some apps in your assortment the place this doesn’t work. However over time, backup will get higher and higher, and it would not get any extra handy than Google Backup.
If you happen to do not wish to belief Google and the app builders to maintain your information backed up for you, there are some alternate options for doing this your self. One of the crucial well-liked apps for that is known as Helium, described beneath.
If you wish to transfer your app information out of your previous smartphone to your new one as described above, you are able to do it with the Helium app simply — and with out having to root your cellphone, when you get the Helium Desktop Installer. The applying is on the market for Home windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. If you happen to use Home windows, be sure to have all of the related drivers put in. These will be discovered right here.
- Set up Helium Desktop, and the related drivers, if vital.
- Set up the Helium app in your previous Android system.
- Startup Helium Desktop—however do not plug your cellphone into your PC simply but.
- Allow USB debugging in your Android system. That is accomplished within the developer choices.
Be aware: In case your smartphone is not detected, USB debugging might not have been correctly activated. It might even be the case that the suitable ADB drivers aren’t put in in your pc but. Within the case of a Sony system, go to the Sony Developer web site and get them from there. With different producers, you remedy the issue the identical approach.
- Begin the Helium app in your smartphone and join it to the PC.
- As soon as your cellphone has been detected, unplug it from the PC.
- Now you’ll be able to go to the app in your cellphone and choose which apps you’d wish to again up the app information for. If you wish to do all of them, select Choose all and faucet Save.
- Subsequent, resolve the place to save lots of your backup to. You may select from the interior reminiscence, microSD, or the cloud.
- Subsequent, wait a couple of minutes for the backup to finish.
- As soon as it’s accomplished, you will get a notification that the backup was profitable.
In case your Android system has been rooted, backing up your app information is especially straightforward. You do not even have to hook up with a PC.
- While you begin up the Helium app in your cellphone for the primary time, it should request Superuser rights. These are vital for backups to be created with out connecting to a PC.
- Then, you’ll be able to observe the identical course of as above to pick which apps to again up and the place you’d just like the backups to be saved.
With or with out rooting your cellphone, the restoration course of is similar.
- Begin Helium in your Android system and go to the Restore & Sync tab.
- There, inform the app the place to revive the info from. (Restoring from a cloud backup requires the Premium model.)
- Then you’ll be able to select to revive app information for particular apps, or all of them. Simply spotlight the apps, and faucet Restore.
- Now, the app information shall be restored. Relying on how a lot you backed up, this might take a while.
Warning: This methodology doesn’t work for apps that disable ADB backup, or for some smartphone manufacturers akin to Xiaomi.
Though the Play Retailer is missing in freshly up to date alternate options to Helium (many who help you again up APKs, however not app information), there is a good possibility from F-Droid, a repository at no cost and open-source software program (FOSS).
With oandbackup, you can also make backups of chosen apps in your system and restore from these backups. The important thing half is that it permits you to save lots of app information to a user-accessible location. Each backup/restore of single apps and of a number of apps are supported.
To obtain and run oandbackup, you will first have to obtain F-Droid, after which obtain oandbackup from there. The app remains to be maintained and up to date commonly, so it ought to work on newer variations of Android if Helium has allow you to down. You will want root entry for this, nevertheless, nevertheless it could possibly be your finest wager when you do not wish to depend on Google.
If you do not have root however have Android 4 or increased, you should use the command-line program adb from the Android SDK platform instruments to make backups with the assistance of a desktop pc.
Do you will have every other backup ideas for Android? Share them with us within the feedback.
This text was utterly revised and up to date in Could 2022. Feedback previous to the replace have been retained.